October 14, 2016
Trio Valdstyn: Mana Shiraishi, violin; Pierre-Alain Bouvrette, cello; Martin Karlíček, piano
- Antonin Dvořák (1841-1904) - Silent Woods B.173 for cello and piano
- Clarence Lucas (1866-1947) - Elegy for violin and piano;Tarantella for violin and piano
- Astor Piazzolla (1921-1992) - Four Seasons for piano trio
- Johannes Brahms (1833-1897) - Piano Trio in B major Nr.1 Op.8
The beautiful and peaceful "Silent Woods" for cello and piano became so popular that Dvorak himself later wrote a transcription for cello and orchestra. In contrast Piazzola's seasons are lively pieces that paint for us the colours of Argentina. To end the program the Valdstyn Trio performs Brahms trio in B major, that some consider to be among the best chamber music works ever written.
November 18, 2016
Elizabeth Dolin, cello; Bernadene Blaha, piano
- Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Variations concertantes Op. 17
- Prokofiev (1891-1953) - Sonata in C major, op. 119
- Brahms (1833-1897) - Cello Sonata No.2 in F major, op. 99
Lyrical and virtuosic, the Variations Concertantes were written by Mendelssohn when he was only 20. In contrast Prokofiev wrote his cello sonata in C major in the last part of his life for cellist Mistislav Rostropovich. Lawrence Budmenwrote about it: "The "Cello Sonata in C Major" is a wonderfully inventive and effusive song of twilight. A soaring, lyrically sophisticated tribute to the power of creative inspiration of a genius!" This evening of wonderful chamber music ends with Brahm's second sonata for cello and piano. A return performance by this excellent piano and cello duo.
December 9, 2016
- Vocal and instrumental Christmas music from the Renaissance to the 20th century
Quavaria, a vocal and instrumental group performs, in various formations, music related to Christmas from the Renaissance to the 20th century.
January 20, 2017
Duo Fortin-Poirier: Amélie Fortin and Marie-Christine Poirier, pianos
- E. Grieg (1843-1907) - Valses Caprice
- A. Dvořák (1841-1904) - Légendes op.59 (excerpts)
- A.Piazzolla (1921-1992) - AdiosNonino (arr. Victor Simon)
- S. Barber (1910-1981) - Souvenirs
- Vanessa Marcoux (1986-) - Chroniques d'une coupe à blanc
- S.Rachmaninoff (1873-1943) - Vocalise (arr. Greg Anderson)
- W. Bolcom (1938-) - Garden of Eden : The Serpent's Kiss
Two extremely talented pianists will share their love of music with us in an eclectic program that will take us from the enchanting romantic "Legends" of Dvořák to the more rhythmic and lively music of Piazzola and Bolcom.
February 17, 2017
The Milton String Quartet: Roman Fraser, violin; Maithéna Girault, violin; Evan Robinson, viola; Joshua Morris, cello
- Joseph Haydn (1732-1809) - String Quartet in F major, Opus 77 No. 2
- Erwin Schulhoff (1894-1942) - Five pieces for String Quartet
- Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - String Quartet in E minor, Opus 44, No. 2
The Milton String Quartet is a rising star in the world of chamber music. In May 2016, the quartet was invited to perform at the Opera America Conference 2016, and at home in Montreal will participate in the August 2016 edition of MISQA (McGill International String Quartet Academy).
March 10, 2017
Trio Les Amies: Sophie Dugas, violin; Joanne Grant, cello; Judy Hung, piano
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791) - Piano trio K. 548 in C major
- Claude Debussy (1862-1918) - Trio in G major
- Franz Schubert (1797-1828) - Trio No.1 in B-flat major Op. 99,for piano, violin and cello D.898
A pillar of the chamber music repertoire, Schubert's wonderful piano trio Op.99 was written by a mature Schubert in the last year of his life. About it Schumann said: "One glance at Schubert's Trio (Op. 99) and the troubles of our human existence disappear and all the world is fresh and bright again." This program is completed by Mozart's Trio K. 548 and Debussy's trio in G major. A first performance by the trio "Les Amies" for the Society.